There are tons of “diets” out there promoting health. The DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) was developed as a nutritional plan to improve blood pressure. The Traditional Mediterranean Diet (TMD) has tons of data validating its health benefits.
Then there are keto diets, Paleo, South Beach, and the list goes on and on. There are benefits to each of these nutritional approaches.
So what should you do?
There are 2 components to nutrition: the intake of good nutrients and the elimination of toxic (or relatively toxic) substances that may be causing problems.
A comprehensive nutritional approach will address BOTH of these issues.
1) Eliminate refined carbohydrates – less than 50 grams per day
2) Fruits & Veggies: At least 10-12 servings daily of high quality fruits and vegetables in a ratio of 2 fruits to 3 veggies
3) Omega-3s –
4) Monounsaturated Fatty Acids (MUFA) – Extra-Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) 40 grams per day
5) Eliminate ALL trans fats!
6) Saturated Fats – there is no good data to recommend eliminating saturated fats.
7) Sodium – less than 1500mg per day. To give you an idea, 1 teaspoon = 4000mg.